Thursday, October 11, 2012

Top 5: Time Travel Movies



I have no time to go to the movies right now and it’s really pissing me off because there is a bunch of movies I REALLY want to see.  One of those movies is Looper, about a guy who is hired to kill people the mob sends back through time which looks totally amazing.  Even though I haven’t seen it yet, it got my juices flowing and has led me to list one of my favorite genre of film, the time travel movie.  I only considered movies in which moving back and forth in time is a central plot point.  So, Donnie Darko, which does have time travel in it, is not on the list because most of the movie goes on without us knowing it’s about time travel.  Also, like with my Top 5 Vampire Novel list, I’m not as read as I should be, so Primer and Time After Time, two movies that sound like they would show up on my list, won’t because I haven’t seen them yet.  Without further ado, here is my Top 5 Time Travel Movies…

5) The Time Machine
            I’m listing the original Time Machine, not that crappy 2002 re-make with Guy Pearce.  It’s the first time travel movie that I remember seeing, based on what I’m pretty sure was the first time travel story ever written (or at least the most famous).  I still remember watching Rod Taylor jump into his machine, pull the lever, and sit there as time changed around him.  It blew my mind.  It may not be the most complex story about time travel, it may not be the best acted, it certainly doesn’t have the special effects of the more modern fare, but there is something to be said about the original story, the movie that launched our obsession with time travel.

4) Bill And Ted’s Excellent Adventure
            This is a totally underrated movie that seems to have been forgotten over time.  Bill and Ted were the original Beavis and Butthead, complete morons who somehow stumble upon victory.  The genius of this movie was its ability to be both clever and moronic with its humor.  The depiction of historical figures was both funny and informative and played beautifully off the stereotypes survey history courses have given them.  This also has the privilege of being one of three movies that I can actually stand Keanu Reeves in (Matrix and Parenthood being the others).

3) Back to the Future
            For my generation, this is an untouchable classic.  I’ve never met anyone who had anything bad to say about it.  If The Time Machine kick started my love of time travel movies, Back to the Future stoked the fire.  Michael J. Fox was brilliant and Christopher Lloyd’s Doc Brown has gone down as one of films greatest characters.  There is something to be said about time travel comedies being generally better then dramas, I have three on this list, and this movie is a great example of a film that was able to be both funny and dramatic, the best of both worlds and family entertainment at its absolute best.

2) 12 Monkeys
            This isn’t really a movie for the masses, I’ve heard plenty of people say it was confusing or that they didn’t get it, but I find it a beautiful piece of art.  It’s Terry Gilliam at his best, creating a wonderfully fantastic world filled with amazing characters.  Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt put in amazing performances that helped flesh out those characters.  I’ll admit, it does get a little confusing at points, but it’s still a great movie about time travel and its potential benefits and consequences.

1) Time Bandits
            I guess there is something about Terry Gilliam and the fantastic worlds he creates that just lend themselves to great time travel movies.  On the surface this is a much lighter, family friendly time travel story then 12 Monkeys.  It’s a wonderful comedy and a totally original premise as far as time travel is concerned.  Yet, like most Gilliam films, it does have a dark side that gives the story great depth.  This is one of my all time favorites, time travel or not, and is a must see movie for anyone.  The visuals are amazing, the comedy is clever, and the story is poignant.  Just an amazing movie.

Honorable Mentions: The Butterfly Effect, Star Trek IV, Hot Tub Time Machine

No comments:

Post a Comment