Friday, October 12, 2012

Fall TV 2012-13: Part Two

Here's the next batch of shows off my TIVO...

Vegas
     I really don't like CBS shows.  I have no rational reason other then they all have a similar feel that just doesn't entertain me.  I feel like you could have me watch a show and I would be able to tell you just from viewing it if it was on CBS or not.  So, I wasn't even going to give Vegas a look, because, after all, it is a CBS show.  The thing is, the premise is really interesting and could be very entertaining and the cast is amazing, so I decided to put aside my bias and give it a try.  What's my review after three shows?  It's a strong premised show with a great cast on CBS.  I think ultimately the CBS thing is going to trump the other two.
     VERDICT: Going on season pass for now but it could be the first show to go

The Mindy Project
     In a season that had very little promising new shows going on in the sitcom category, this was the one comedy I was looking forward to.  Mindy Kaling was one The Office's best writers and the thought of her getting her own show was very exciting.  The good news is, so far she has delivered.  It may not be the funniest show on TV, but it has had some great moments and you can see the potential for even more great comedy.  The rest of the cast is mostly unknown, but then again, so was the New Girl cast and we all know how that one turned out.
     VERDICT: Going on season pass

South Park
     This has to be the most consistent show in the history of television.  It's be around 15 years and this season's second episode, "Raising The Bar," was probably one of the funniest ever.  It is truly amazing how fresh this show continues to be, how it is able to be so funny and so spot on and so scathing all at the same time.  It may be blasphemy but I feel that South Park has been able to keep a more consistent quality then even The Simpsons, who have had many sub-par seasons.  I said before that South Park is the best commentary on society out there and I stand by that, as this season, so far, has just been further proof.
     VERDICT: Started as #15 on season pass, will probably be moving up

Modern Family
     I really don't have much to say about Modern Family.  It's just kind of there.  I certainly don't find it as funny as most people and Emmy voters, but it does make me laugh on occasion and it does have Julie Bowen in it's cast.  I enjoy watching it every week, but if someone put a gun to my head and said I had to stop watching it, I wouldn't miss beat and wouldn't feel bad about never seeing it again.
     VERDICT: Started as #14, will probably have a slight fall

Animal Practice
     The only reason I started watching this was because NBC started it early when there wasn't much else worth watching and the strategy worked on me.  I don't want to like this show, but it has probably had me laughing harder then any new show so far this season.  A lot of people were saying that all the humor resided in the monkey and that that one trick pony would get old, but I think it's a great ensemble cast that is really quirky and has solid comedy chops.  I think it's smarter then most people want to give it credit for.  I thought for sure this would be the first show I stopped watching, but I think I got hooked instead.
     VERDICT: Going on season pass

Last Resort
     This was one of the most positively reviewed new shows this season.  It's from the creator of The Shield and came with very high hopes for ABC.  The thing is, it's about as high concept as a television show can get.  A nuclear sub is given orders to attack Pakistan and they refuse and go rouge... really, how long can this stay interesting?  I'm not sold on it being a great show anyway.  It has had some entertaining suspenseful moments, but it's also had some pretty cheesy ones.  As good as Andre Braugher can be, he spends a lot of time chewing scenery and Scott Speedmen is about as average an actor as you can get on TV.  This show is certainly on probation for the moment.
     VERDICT:  Going on season pass for the moment

30 Rock
     This is the last season for a show that has been, at times, as funny as can be.  It's never been my favorite comedy on TV, but there is no denying how fantastic a run it has had.  It's a shame that it will be leaving us and there will be a giant hole in the sitcom world next season without it.  I can only assume that it is going to go out with a bang, so this should be one of the best seasons of the shows history.
     VERDICT:  Started at #11 on season pass, could go up but won't go down

How The States Got There Shapes
     This is the biggest surprise of the fall season so far.  I had no idea it was coming back for a second season.  I can't even tell you what it is ranked on my season pass because I had left it for dead.  They've changed the format and don't really deal with the shape of the states anymore, but it still has all the elements that made the first season that aired two years ago so great.  I can't tell you how entertaining I find this show.  If you've never seen it, you have to give it a try.  It's informative, funny, entertaining, everything one could ever want from a television show.  And the best part is you learn something new every episode.  I can't speak higher of a show that isn't ranked in my top 5.
     VERDICT: I have no idea where it started on my season pass, will be going way up

No comments:

Post a Comment