Friday, October 5, 2012

Fall TV 2012-13: Part One



It’s October which means the beginning of yet another TV season.  Last year I went through my TIVO and gave a brief review of the first new episodes or two of all the shows I watched last year and all the new shows that piqued my interest.  It was a fun exercise so I thought I would take the next three weeks or so and preview the new season yet again.  Here the first installment of my 2012-2013 television early season review…

Go On
            Alright, I know this is Community light, but I really like Community so why wouldn’t I enjoy a slightly dumbed down version?  I also have a weak spot for Matthew Perry, who is one of my all time favorite TV actors.  How weak?  So weak that I may be the only person on the planet who will defend Studio 60.  This show isn’t great, but it has enough funny moments to make it enjoyable and it certainly has the potential to be a lot better.  Not to mention that one of the episodes was shot at the bowling alley I used to go to when I was living in L.A.
            VERDICT:  It’s going on my season pass

Parenthood
            This show took a good size fall in my Season Pass rankings last year.  I wasn’t super happy with the end of the season and a bunch of the characters felt underserved.  While nothing is going to fix the undeserving problem other then getting rid of characters, the season is off to a much better start.  The adoption angle with Erika Chirstensen, a character I have found annoying over the last couple of seasons, looks really good.  I love the addition of Ray Romano, even though the last thing the show needs is another character.  He’s been nothing short of brilliant so far.  I will admit that the breast cancer bit seems a little over dramatic and cliché for this show, but I’ll go with it since everything else has been so solid.
            VERDICT: Started at 13 on season pass, will probably stay put

Sons of Anarchy
            At this point it appears that this show is what it is.  The beginning of this season didn’t quite build off the crazy ending of last, but holy cow did it get crazy again fast.  If there is one thing you can rely on from Sons it is at least one unbelievable plot twist or event.  We’re only three episodes in and we already have one this season.  As long as actors keep pounding out quality compelling performances, I’m willing to give the show a pass on its silliness.
            VERDICT:  Started at 4 on season pass, will stay or move up

Revolution
            I really like the concept of this show.  I’ve had a “no more electricity” story floating around in my head for years.  I’m just not sure that this show, like almost any show, movie, book, etc that has tackled the subject,       is hitting the points I find interesting.  After watching three episodes, I found some entertaining moments, but as a whole the show isn’t doing much for me.  The production value isn’t great and the acting leaves a lot to be desired.  I’m probably going to stick with it a little longer just to see if they take it somewhere more interesting but I don’t think I still be watching by the end of the season.
            VERDICT: on season pass for now, but on final notice

Survivor
            I’ve gone on record as not being a fan of Survivor gimmicks, but so far this season is looking pretty damn interesting.  I like the idea of bringing back contestants that were forced off the show by injury, even if one of them had a chance at a full season and lost before he got injured on his second try.  They did a good job of bringing together a bunch of interesting people, both past contestants, famous people and newbies.  I was going to make a joke about Jeff Kent being safe because he wouldn’t be washing his truck on the island but then he went and hurt his knee anyway.  Also, I find it hard to believe that only two people have any idea who Jeff Kent or Blair from Fact of Life are, but I guess that is just making the season that much more interesting.  I have high hopes that this is going to be another quality season of Survivor.
            VERDICT: Started at 16 on season pass, will probably move up slightly

How I Met Your Mother
            If you read this blog you know I write about this show on a weekly basis, so there isn’t much point in going on about it here.  I’m watching out of loyalty and a desire to conclude the journey I started 8 years ago, but I’m not crazy about what is put on my television screen every week.  Let’s all make a collective prayer that this is the last season and we don’t have to endure another horrible season just to find out who mom is.
            VERDICT:  Started at 8 on season pass, will drop significantly

New Girl
            It was suggested that I start a weekly review of this show and I just might do that.  It was easily one of the best comedies on TV last season and has come back strong early in this one.  I must admit, I am a little bias when it comes to opinions on this show though because I’ve had a huge crush on Zooey Deschanel since the first time I saw Elf.  I’m not sure I can be rational when praising or criticize, but I will try.
            VERDICT:  Started at 5 on season pass, will stay put or move up slightly

No comments:

Post a Comment