Friday, October 19, 2012

Fall TV 2012-13: Part 3

I watch way to much TV, because here's part three of me breaking down the fall shows I watch and there's going to be at least one more...

Arrow
     This was the show I was most excited for and, so far, is also the new show I have enjoyed the most.  I should preface those comments with, I am a huge Green Arrow fan.  He's right there with Batman and the Flash as my top three all time favorite superheros.  I find it kind of amazing that others thought him worth of his own television show, but I'm not going to argue.  Is this the best show ever produced?  Not by a long shot.  Was it filled with cheesy moments and forced drama?  Not as much as it could have.  This show isn't going to solve any world problems, even if Oliver Queen is the biggest liberal in the DC Universe, but it does look like it is going to entertain.
     VERDICT: It's on my season pass and isn't going anywhere

Nashville
     If you know anything about me, you are probably dumbfounded at seeing this shows name pop up in this post.  There is almost nothing about this show that is for me.  I have less then zero interest in country music and these types of dramas hold very little that is compelling to me.  But the show has one huge thing going for it... Mrs. Coach!  I'm pretty sure I would watch anything Connie Britton shows up on.  I did, after all, sit through every episode of American Horror Story last year.  The weird thing is, I kind of liked this pilot.  There was some interesting drama set up, some interesting characters established, and Connie Britton is in it.  Against all odds, I may be watching this show for a while.
     VERDICT: It's going on my season pass

Once Upon A Time
     I think I kept watching this show last year because it was clever and different, but I'm starting to feel like the luster is disappearing.  I've found myself really struggling to get back into the show so far this season.  It still has all the elements that made it a solid watch last year, but it's starting to feel like old hat; everything that was fresh and original last season feels stale in year two.  They need to find a way to keep the show original, shake up things without losing the good storytelling that made last year a fun watch.  It's still safely on the watch list, but it's quickly heading into the realm of background noise.
     VERDICT: Ended last season at #21, might drop a bit

666 Park Avenue
     This was marketed as Rosemary's Baby the TV show.  That's quite a description to live up to and probably not a fair one at all.  This isn't Rosemary's Baby.  It isn't even a weak rehash.  There have been very few creepy moments and nothing scary.  And the drama isn't compelling at all.  Nashville had more suspense in it's pilot then three episodes of this show combined.  I'm holding out hope that it's building towards something more interesting then what we are seeing now, but I'm sure I will be holding on much longer.  This show has another episode or two to show me something and then it's gone. 
     VERDICT: On final notice

The Walking Dead
     Even though I was a little critical how graphic the violence got in the season opener, this is still one of my favorite shows.  I love the way it deals with both the violence and psychology of such a traumatic event.  If the opening scene of the first episode is any hint at what's in store this season, we are in for a great ride.
     VERDICT: Ended last season at #3, and is strongly entrenched there

No comments:

Post a Comment