Thursday, May 26, 2011

Top 5: Chicago Songs

     Chicago is a band I have been dying to see live for years, but for whatever reason, no money, busy schedule, I haven't been able to make it happen.  That is until tonight.  In honor I thought of doing Top 5 Bands I Must See Live Before I Die (or more likely, before they die), but other then the Beastie Boys and the Foo Fighters, I couldn't come up with anybody.  If anyone can think of other worthy bands, please comment, but I've been lucky enough to see most of the bands I enjoy and respect.  So, instead I'm doing Top 5 Chicago Songs.
     I know a lot of people don't understand my love of Chicago, but most of those people aren't familiar with early Chicago.  Most people my generation or younger have the impression that Chicago is a cheesy '80s band that sings sappy love songs.  Once, when I was playing a Chicago greatest hits CD at work, a co-worker commented that he felt like he was at a wedding.  In all honesty, my thoughts on the band weren't much different until Rhino re-released the first three Chicago albums and I was introduced to the brilliance of early Chicago.  They found a way to do something no other rock band has ever been able to repeat.  They fused rock, jazz, classical and soul music and did so with amazing results.  I don't know that there is a band that has fallen further from musical genius.  There is a good chance the death of Terry Kath help this disparity, along with the natural de-evolution every rock band goes through.  But the fact remains, early Chicago is ground breaking and amazing, late Chicago sucks.  So, when I made this list, I ignored the crappy Chicago, that band doesn't exist to me.  Here is my Top 5 Chicago Songs...

5.  Happy 'Cause I'm Coming Home (Chicago 3)
     This is an instrumental.  It reminds me a lot of the song played during the bank robbing montage in "Butch Cassidy And the Sundance Kid."  If nothing else it has one of the best rock flute solos this side of Ian Anderson.

4.  Getting Stronger Every Day (Chicago 6)
     A song that sounds like a sappy love song but is really about breaking up.  At least that's the way I interpret it.  It has to be the happiest song about breaking up I've ever heard and for whatever reason the irony makes me love it.

3.  Lowdown (Chicago 3)
     Probably the most pedestrian song on this list, but I just love it.  Nothing really sticks out, it's just a solid rock song.  Kath has a pretty good solo.  If anything is more exceptional then most Chicago songs it's probably Cetera's bass line.  Like most of Chicago's early songs, it's more about politics then love, something else that makes the early stuff stand out.

2.  Free (Chicago 3)
     It's a short song, but is totally intense and amazing.  It also has the best horn line in any rock song ever.  It blows my mind every time I hear it.  Definitely an example of how amazing Chicago's horn section is, especially for a rock band.

1. 25 Or 6 To 4 (Chicago 2)
     Kind of the Joe Blog answer, but there is a reason the song is so well known.  It has great horn lines, amazing guitar riffs, and rocks.  This is the song that got me into Chicago and got me to listen more.  I still get a little excited every time I hear that opening bass/guitar riff.  This is the song that contains everything that makes Chicago a great band.

Honorable Mentions: Beginnings (Chicago Transit Authority), Mogonucleosis (Chicago 7), Sing A Mean Tune Kid (Chicago 3), Make Me Smile (Chicago 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment