Thursday, May 19, 2011

Top 5: Beastie Boy Songs

     This is a little late, but two weeks ago the Beastie Boys released their 8th studio album and the first in six years.  In honor of one of the greatest music groups of all time, three men who revolutionized the music industry and how music is made, and their newest gem, this week's top 5 is Top 5 Favorite Beastie Boy Songs Of All Time...

5. Sure Shot (Ill Communication)
     "I've more action than my man John Woo.  And I've got more hits than Rod Carew"
     A contender for my Top 5 First Tracks list, which I hope to write one day.  Sure Shot sets the tone early for what is probably my favorite Beastie's album.  It has all the elements of previous Beastie efforts thrown together. It's a straight up rap song with a typical punk rock structure.  And by the way, is there a better flute sample in all of hip hop?

4. Girls (License To Ill)
     "Girls- to do the dishes, Girls- to clean up my room, Girls- to do the laundry, Girls- and in the bathroom"
     I don't know what it is about Girls, but it gets people out on the dance floor like no other.  Even odder is girls go the craziest for it.  Obviously they haven't actually listened to the lyrics because it's far from complementary.  It's on the list primarily for this weird appeal, misplaced or not, but it's also one of my all time favorites.  It's super simple, but upbeat and fun.

3.  Paul Revere (License To Ill)
     "Mike D. grabbed the money, MCA snatched the gold, I grabbed two girlies and a beer that's cold"
     This is a classic.  An early harbinger to what was going to come from three of the biggest rap pioneers.  One of the staples of any Beastie Boy song is clever rhymes.  Although this song's lyrics are a little juvenile, it's a great early example of what they had to offer.

2.  Intergalactic (Hello Nasty)
     "If you try to knock me you'll get mocked.  I'll stir fry you in my wok.  Your knees will start shaking and your fingers pop like a pinch on the neck from Mr. Spock."
     Of all the Beastie's songs this one has my favorite rhymes.  Released after a long hiatus, Intergalactic reminded us of all the genius we were missing out on.  This song had the Beastie's jumping back into the music scene with a fury.  Keeping with their revolutionary style, the boys found a way around paying for the sangs they sampled by sampling themselves.  Intergalactic was not only a step forward in the evolution of the Beasties but in music as well.

1. Sabotage (Ill Communication)
     "I can't stand rockin when I'm in this place because I feel disgraced when you're all in my face.  But make no mistake and switch up my channel, I'm Buddy Rich when I fly off the handle"
     I won't lie, there is no way the awesomeness of this songs video doesn't effect my ranking of the song.  It's hard to separate my love of the video from the song itself.  That being said, Sabotage was both groundbreaking in music and video.  It took music video to a level it hadn't reached at the time, and in all honesty, I'm not sure it has reached since.  As far as music goes, it was the first original song to truly blend rock and rap.  Part of me thought of keeping it off the list because one could argue it paved the way for all the horrible rap/rock that defined early 2000 music.  But ultimately I can't take away from music genius because of what it led to.  Sabotage was genius, Nookie was crap and the second half of that equation had nothing to do with the Beastie Boys.

Honorable Mentions: Unite (Hello Nasty), So What'ca Want (Check Your Head), Hey Ladies (Paul's Boutique), Pass The Mic (Check Your Head), Brass Monkey (License To Ill)

No comments:

Post a Comment