Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Reviewing The Previews 8/1/12

 Remember...
F- I will never see this movie under any circumstances
D- I will never pay theater price to see this movie but may watch it on Netflix
C- I might pay to see this if nothing else is playing, if not I'll catch it on DVD
B- I am not excited, but I'll probably try to catch it in the theater
A- I'm all in

 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 - F (11/16/12)
     This is a good awful series of films.  I can excuse teenage girls, when have they ever had good taste, but I'm embarrassed by all the grown women who think that this is an interesting or compelling story.  These movies will go down in history as the highest grossing movie with the worst acting.  Putting saga in the title demeans all previous sagas.  And what is this new trend of breaking up the last book of a series into two movies?  I blame Peter Jackson.  Did you hear he's going to turn The Hobbit into three movies?  The Hobbit, a book that is at least 100 pages shorter then each of the three books in The Lord of The Rings, is going to be the same length in screen time as all three books put together.  I hate Peter Jackson.  And, needless to say, I won't be seeing Breaking Dawn Part 2.

ParaNorman - C  (8/17/12)
     This is another stop motion animated film from the guys who did Coraline.  I've been meaning to see Coraline for years, but haven't got around to it yet.  This one seems to be just as solid a story and I really like the look of the animation, but since I was never excited enough to see Coraline, I don't see myself running out to see this one.  I guess it all depends on what else comes out that week.

End Of Watch - B- (9/12/12)
     This is from the writer of Training Day, which was a pretty good damn movie.  Of course he also wrote The Fast and The Furious and S.W.A.T., so saying it's from the guy who wrote Training Day isn't really saying much.  It looks a lot more Training Day then S.W.A.T. though, so I'm excited.  The cast is really solid.  I think I've decided I'm up for almost anything Anna Kendrick is in.  Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena are pretty good as well.

Man Of Steel (teaser) - (6/14/13)
     This is a case where the grade I'm giving doesn't really show my feelings about the trailer.  Going by the description of grades I have above, this is a B because I'm positive I'll be there opening week to see the movie and if not there is no doubt I will see it in the theater sometime before it is taken off the big screen.  I'm that much a comic book nerd that even though I hate the Superman character, I will need to see the movie in the theater.  This trailer does not do anything to make me think I will enjoy this movie.  It looks as if the makers are trying to do to Superman what Christopher Nolan did to Batman except Superman is nothing like Batman.  Superman is the Captain America of the DC world, he is all-American, up-right, truthful and earnest.  There is nothing dark or gritty about Superman and to make him dark wouldn't be true to the comic book character (as much as I hate that character).  I'm looking forward to hating this movie.

Django Unchained - A+  (12/25/12)
     Is there anyone who puts out a better trailer then Quentin Tarantino?  Pulp Fiction has to be the greatest trailer of all time.  This one isn't quite that good, but it's pretty damn badass.  I love the use of James Brown.  Tarantino is one of the top five movie makers out there right now, so there is no doubt that I will be seeing this, great trailer or not.  But it makes the movie going experience that much better when you get to see trailers like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment