Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Reviewing the Previews: 4/2/13



Yes, I do still go to the theater to see movies.  And yes, I still have very strong opinions on the trailers.  Here’s a few of them.
And there’s no way you remember so here the scoring…

F- I will never see this movie under any circumstances
D- I will never pay theater price to see this movie but may watch it on Netflix
C- I might pay to see this if nothing else is playing, if not I'll catch it on DVD
B- I am not excited, but I'll probably try to catch it in the theater
A- I'm all in


Epic- C-  5/24/13
            Bugs meets Avitar meets Honey I Shrunk The Kids.  The trailer highlights all the “star” voices like we are supposed to be impressed but it just made me depressed for the film makers that that was the best they could do.  I like animated films and it did look like this one could have some funny moments, but a D list cast paired with rehashed plot points makes me less then excited about this one.

Star Trek Into Darkness- C  5/17/13
            This grade is for the trailer and doesn’t really fit the descriptions I listed above.  There is zero doubt that I am going to see this movie in the theater but if I wasn’t a fan of the series or genre, I can’t imagine this trailer pulling me in.  There were some big explosions and fancy sequences, but other then that there was nothing.  It was a totally boring and uninspiring trailer.  I expect more from the Star Trek people!

Now You See Me- B  5/31/13
            OK, there’s been way to many magician movies over the last 7 years or so.  And most of them haven’t been very good, but for some reason this trailer has me a little excited.  Yes, it looks like a more mainstream version of The Prestige and is directed by a guy who has done nothing but mindless action flicks, but it piqued my interest none the less.  I like the cast and the premise looks fun.

Iron Man 3- A  5/3/13
            Props to the Marvel people for not giving this movie a stupid sub-title or name it anything other then Iron Man 3.  It’s an annoying trend to do otherwise and I blame George Lucas for it.  As far as the movie goes, this trailer could have been as subpar as Star Trek and I’d still be there opening weekend.  Lucky for us that wasn’t the case.  This trailer was as intriguing and suspenseful as a trailer can get.  It throws out big questions and huge action scenes without reveling any plot points.  This is how to make a trailer!

No comments:

Post a Comment