Tuesday, April 19, 2011

How I Met Your Mother: Hopeless

     Maybe it's time for me to come to the realization that How I Met Your Mother is not the show I began watching 6 years ago.  Maybe it's no longer fair for me to hold the show to the standards set by the first few seasons.  The show I've watched the last couple of weeks resembles the shows I watch casually, the one that have an occasional funny moment and nothing deep or touching in the story lines, and not the brilliant comedy I use to watch, so maybe I should expect less.  Maybe I'll enjoy it more if I want less from it.
     The odd thing about this week's episode is even the elements that normally make a good HIMYM episode fell flat.  The call back to Ted's red cowboy boots felt forced and held no humor at all.  The are usually the moments I long for, the moments that seperate HIMYM from other sitcoms.  Barney's storyline carried the show, but it wasn't funny or interesting or emotionally moving at all.  I've said it before on this blog, I don't want Barney to grow up, I don't want him to stop partying.  There are lessons to be learned from Barney's relationship with his father and plenty of stories to be told but not in exchange for what makes Barney an interesting and entertaining character.
     This episode wasn't as bad as last week, but it was still far from good.  We have another two weeks before we get another new episode and I'd like to expect them to come back from the break in true form.  I'd like to tune in every week and get the quality seen in the episodes just prior to the last break, but it's looking like that just isn't in the cards anymore.  We still might get gems like "Oh Honey" and "Legendaddy", but the norm from here on out appears to be "Hopeless".

No comments:

Post a Comment