Thursday, May 24, 2012

2011-2012 TV Wrap Up: Part One

     I started this TV season going through my Tivo and commenting on all the shows I would be watching.  It only seems fitting that I do the same to wrap up everything that went down.  What shows kept my interest, what shows fell from grace, what shows am I looking forward to next year.  It's going to take a few installments, but here is my 2011-2012 television season wrap up in order of where each show falls in my Tivo Season Pass broken down into fun divisions...

THE JOSH BECKETT NOT-SURE-WHY-THIS-GUY-IS-STILL-ON-THE-TEAM DIVISION

28)  The Killing
          I'm not quite sure why I still watch this show.  Chances are extremely strong that once we find out who killed Rosie it's going to find its way off my season pass.  There is no reason I can come up with why the stuff happening this season shouldn't have happened last season other then trying to lengthen the mystery.  All that happened last season was nothing but a string of red herrings that have had no effect on the events of this season.  The show has annoyed me to the point that I really don't care about any of the characters.  I just watch because I'm pot committed.  I'm sure whoever the killer ends up being is only going to make me more made, but oh well.

27) Green Lantern: The Animated Series
          I just started watching this because I'm a huge DC fan, but, I'm not big on this style of animation and Green Lantern is far from my favorite DC hero.  We'll have to wait and see how long this one lasts, but its chances aren't very high.

26)  Falling Skies
          This is a summer series, so we're still waiting for season two to be delivered.  Season one was everything one could ask for from a summer show: fun action packed, thoughtful without being too heady.  It's far from the best show on TV but an enjoyable summer watch with tons of potential to be a little more.  I'm looking forward to season two.

25)  Saturday Night Live
          Just because is the only reason I came come up with for still watching this show.  It isn't funny very often (but it did have two or three great skits this season) and nine time out of ten I could care less about the musical act (if I've even heard of them).  37 years of broadcasting and 20 plus years of habitual viewing must have some cache because it still has a place on my season pass.

THE RYAN SWEENEY DOESN'T-OFFEND-BUT-HASN'T-HIT-A-HOMERUN DIVISION

24)  The League
          This was #16 at the beginning of the season.  The fall has to do with new additions to the list and not a drop in the amount of laughs.  This season of The League was more of what we have come to expect from the show: quirky, odd-ball humor mixed with some gross out jokes.  And my critique also remains the same.  It needs less fantasy football talk and more Jason Mantzoukas as Rafi.

23)  It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
          This show was #18 at the beginning of the season, and much like The League, that drop is not a comment on the show but due to the addition of other shows.  This was probably one of their stronger seasons, but there are just too many shows that are better.  At the end of the day, Always Sunny is what it is.  It doesn't answer any of the world's problems, it's not appointment TV, but it makes me laugh.

22)  Hell On Wheels
          It's no Deadwood, but it's nice to see a western on TV.  One can't help but compare this gritty western to Deadwood, which it will never be, but that really isn't fair to the show.  It has compelling characters, an interesting enough plot and doesn't seem to shy away from tough subject matter.  It's not a great show, but good enough for me to keep watching at the moment.

THE MIKE AVILES PLEASANT-TO-WATCH-BUT-FAR-FROM-GREAT DIVISION

21)  Once Upon a Time
          A pleasant surprise from network television.  It wasn't mind blowingly good, but it was highly enjoyable.  The writers kept the show consistently decent, never made it too complicated while giving it its own mythology and keeping the storylines fresh, and gave the viewers a payoff while leaving questions for next season.  In other words, it was the anti-Lost.  There is still plenty of room for the show to go south, but for now it's pretty solid.

20)  Young Justice
          The latest in the line of excellent DC comic cartoons.  It continues the legacy established by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini and their amazing work on Batman, Superman and The Justice League.  It hasn't quite reached the heights of those shows and I'm not sure with the characters it deals with that it can, but it's still a fun watch and is a must watch for any DC Universe fan.

19)  The Aquabats Supershow
          I've waited 15 years for an Aquabats TV show.  Nothing in my life has been more deserving of a Saturday morning show then this over-the-top-silly ska band/collection of superheros.  Better late then never, I guess.  I wish they used the theme song they recorded for Fury of the Aquabats.  I wish they still has a horn section.  I wish they would use more old school characters.  But, the show still makes me laugh and entertains my inner child.

No comments:

Post a Comment