Tuesday, March 20, 2012

How I Met Your Mother: The Broath

     Season seven has lowered the HIMYM bar so low that "The Broath" may be considered a great episode.  For what we can only hope isn't one fleeting episode the HIMYM writers have figured out what made the show fun to watch and strung it all together.  I'm starting to see a trend, this episode, like many of this season's winners were written by Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, the shows creators.  It may very well be that they are the only ones on the writing staff that truly understand the show.  Which is a problem unless the two decide to start writing all the episodes.
     "The Broath" is far from the funniest HIMYM episode, but it had all the elements of what I would consider a solid episode.  All the episodes storylines were connected in some way and had purpose; there weren't three or four different random forced storylines that seemed to be in place just so everyone had something to do.  There were call backs to past moments that supported the funny instead of overshadowing or rehashing it.  There were poignant moments that didn't push the comedy aside but worked together to add depth to the stories.  This is the type of entertainment I watched HIMYM for.
     It's been so long since I've watched a HIMYM episode that didn't make me cringe or throw things that I'm willing to ignore a few things that bothered me.  I wasn't crazy about the reveal that Barney and Quin were acting the whole time.  I get how it shows the two characters are perfect for each other and quickly sets up the impending marriage, but it took the stuffing out of the more emotional moments in the episode.  I also didn't find anything laugh out loud funny.  There was some funny stuff, I chuckled more then once, but a lot of the jokes were forgettable.
     I hope this is a sign of things to come for the rest of the season.  A strong run here at the end will go a long way to restore my faith in the show and what it can accomplish.  "The Broath" was the first sign of life the show has had in months.  Let's hope things continue to get better!  5-12-2

No comments:

Post a Comment