Thursday, June 16, 2011

Boston Bruins: Round Four Game Seven (Canucks)

     I've started and erased this post about five times now.  I am really struggling to put my thoughts down on paper.  I want to write something poignant, something I can look back on years later and be brought back to this moment, but it's not happening.  As much as I am a baseball guy, it's the sport I played, the sport I fell in love with, my family is a hockey family.  As emotional as the Red Sox win in 2004 was, it was a personal win, a personal celebration.  The Bruins win last night was a different story.  I was on the phone with my Dad.  I was on the phone with my sister.  I was on the phone with my cousin.  I don't know how to compare it with '04 because I don't know that the wins mean the same thing.  I really don't know what to say about it at all.
     The game itself felt anti-climactic.  By the time the clock ran out on game seven the game had been safely over for five to ten minutes.  That doesn't mean I wasn't on the edge of my seat, chewing on my nails for the other 50 minutes, but part of me felt cheated of a last minute emotional release.  Patrice Bergeron proved no matter how much we talk of other players contributions, no matter how much we talk about how this team had undying faith in each other's abilities, this Boston team was his.  He is everything a Bruin should be.  A tough nosed player, yet a class act.  An offensive threat to be worried about, yet an amazing defensive forward.  Someone who will punch you for biting him.  Someone who can overcome career ending injuries.  Someone who will score when he's needed to.  Someone who elevates the game of everyone around him.  As much as everyone wants to talk about how last night launched Tim Thomas into Boston Elite Athlete status (and that can't be argued), I think Bergeron reached that height as well.
     Which Boston line made the difference last night?  Which line was able to bring the intensity we saw in three games in Boston to Vancouver for game seven?  Thorton, Campbell and Paille!  They might not have directly put a point of the board, but their strong fore checking, big hits and great play paved the way for all the goals scored.  I have to commend Julian for giving them the playing time they obviously deserved and the team obviously needed.  This line was the Kevin Millar walk and Dave Roberts steal of the Bruins championship.
     I've always argued Boston is a hockey town.  The town loves the Red Sox more then anything, but hockey is it's sport.  From high school, to college, to the Bruins, Boston relates to the sport of hockey more then anything else.  They've waited 39 years for pro hockey to be king again.  I've waited 34 to witness the Cup driving down Causeway Street.  I've seen it all now.  Go Bruins!

No comments:

Post a Comment